Classic Revival Style | c. 1902
The history of Temple Beth Israel started with a meeting of eight men in a rented room in 1859. The first building the congregation owned was a Moorish-style synagogue at Second and Poplar Streets. When the noise from the City Market interrupted services a new lot was purchased and the present building was erected in 1902. The interior features fine stained glass windows.